Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Treating Myself: Day 13


My morning started off great.  It was a beautiful sunny morning, I grabbed some breakfast and then went on a two hour walk with a friend. I totally got to have my second breakfast, which always makes me a happier person.  Last night I made a double batch of Garden Harvest Muffins.  This is a recipe I have tweaked so much I think I have perfected them to be the most healthy muffin ever and delicious (see my recipe page)!  When I was on Weight Watches a while back I could eat three of these for breakfast and still be under 10 points...that's pretty amazing.  I think one donut is that many points!  
Breakfast:  A garden muffin and my sweet coffee 

Second Breakfast:  Egg and cheese on whole wheat toast.  

Everyone in our house had leftovers for lunch.  I opted for what was left from last night.  Still highly recommend the chicken recipe from yesterday. 
Lunch: Roasted brussel sprouts & apricot-mustard chicken
Snack:  An orange and 20 wheat thins (no pictures)
After my lovely walk this morning my day went down hill.  Nothing like a whiney 4 year old to ruin your day!  I'm so glad that I hadn't made the sausage dinner yet....it's quick and easy and I don't think I would have had the patience for anything else.  I tried a new kale recipe tonight that even my 4 year old ate!  Mine is always a bit chewy but this recipe made it really soft, yummy, and easy to eat.  Click here for it Kale Recipe.

Along with this blog, I'm also trying to do different stuff to help me eat better/less.  I've started eating most meals on our salad plates.  I'm totally eating a lot less but hardly notice.  In the picture below you can see the difference in the salad and dinner plate.  It is definitely a mind trick...that I think is working. 
Dinner: Turkey sausage, kale with garlic, and garlic mashed potatoes.




Dessert: Brownie with milk.  When I'm having a bad day, I like to treat myself and this always makes me feel better.  What I would really love to do, to de-stress and treat myself is to have a hot bath, get a pedicure, buy a new top, or get time alone to read a book.  However with two kiddos and a husband that is finishing his dissertation, I currently don't have the economic or time capacity to do these things.  So the way I treat myself is through food!  I know it's a bad habit that can have a domino effect...but for now this is my solution.  Tonight to counter my bad afternoon I made brownies after I put the boys to bed.  Even though they are super fattening I don't feel too guilty....I did walk for two hours with a 24lb kid strapped to me! How do you get over a stressful day, I would love any suggestions or even healthy treat recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment