Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Grazing & Substitutions: Day 12


If you get this through email, click here 'Am I Full Yet'  for a better format!
Today was a rather weird, long, rainy day that went with little appetite.  I ran some errands this morning so, my breakfast was at the Starbucks in Target.  Whoever thought of putting a Starbucks in a Target was a genius!
Breakfast:  Yummy Coffee, a whole wheat wrap with egg whites, spinach, and feta cheese.

I didn't actually sit down and eat lunch today.  I was too busy taking care of kiddos.  I realized I just grazed off their plates when I was cleaning up.  So lunch is a guesstimate....sorry no pics.
Lunch: Half a banana, about 15 wheat thins, and half a tortilla with blueberry jelly on it and some orange slices.


Tonight for dinner I tried a new recipe Apricot-Mustard Chicken, from "Dinner a Love Story" by Jenny Rosenstarch, it was delicious!  I had also planned to cook up some brown rice which is a staple in our house but to my surprise we had about a quarter cup.  So I rummaged around in the pantry and found...stuffing mix from Thanksgiving!  Its date was still good and I thought what the heck, stuffing goes good with chicken.  It turned out to be a great meal and my 4 year old loved it...well except for the brussel sprouts. I will defiantly use this recipe again.  Super easy! (see recipe below)



Dinner:  Apricot chicken, roasted brussel sprouts, and stuffing.  Water with strawberries
Dessert:  A handful of chocolate chips

Apricot-Mustard Baked Chicken
-6-8 skin-on Chicken pieces (thighs or drumsticks) rinsed and patted dry (I used skinless and it was delicious and more healthy)
-Salt & Pepper
-3/4 cup of apricot jam
-1 tablespoon grainy mustard
-1/4 cup of water
-Leaves from 2 sprigs fresh thyme (I didn't have this, but this would give it a better taste)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Place chicken on a rimmed cookie sheet lined with foil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 10 minutes

While chicken is baking, whisk together  the jam, mustard, water, thyme , and a little salt and pepper in a small sauce pan over low heat for about 3 minutes.  It should be slightly syrupy.

Pull chicken out of the oven and pour the sauce on top.  Continue baking for another 15 minutes.  For the last 3 minutes place chicken under the broiler on the top rack so it gets golden and crispy looking (I did this longer since mine were skinless)

I hope you try this...it would go really good with rice and a mixture of veggies.





No comments:

Post a Comment