Monday, March 18, 2013

Dinner Disaster!

Today has been eventful, not in a festive way!  I did have a yummy breakfast from a coffee shop.  I do eat breakfast out a lot.  My son's school is about 30 minutes away and only last three hours so, I either spend the money in gas or on breakfast.  I usually choose breakfast.  Today is my 18th day doing this blog and I have lost 4lbs since starting.  Looking back it seems crazy because it's not like I'm the healthiest eater and my sweet tooth often gets the better of me.  I realized though that I haven't had a scone in 18 days...which is pretty crazy for me!  A scone in the morning must start the slippery slope of bad eating.  Starting my day off with protein is the best bet.  Even pancakes and waffles are better, at least they are whole wheat.  I just had to take a pic of what I'm temped with usually 3 days a week at the coffee shop! The chocolate chip scone bottom role second from the left is my favorite... it is bigger than my had.
Breakfast: Egg and cheese sandwich on wheat toast with my coffee

After I picked up my son from school we met some of his friends for lunch at a burrito place (think Chipotle).  I left my phone in the car and just didn't have the energy to go get it. So there is no pic for lunch.  I promise to be more vigilant about this, I realize I've been slacking on snacks.  The pictures are what keep me in check.
Lunch:  A large burrito with grilled chicken, black beans, rice, lettuce, sour cream, guac, olives, and a little cheese and salsa.  I also ate a few tortilla chips.

For dinner I had planned to make the Apricot-Mustard Chicken I had made last week.  It had been so yummy.  Last week I had bought boneless/skinless chicken thighs and this week I did the opposite.  This was my first mistake!  The chicken did blacken more than the skinless however when I started to cut up my son's I realized it hadn't cooked through (bones)!  Ugh...the bloody juice got all over his rice; I'm glad I had made extra rice.  I popped the chicken back in the oven for seven more minutes.  During these minutes I started to smell something like melting crayons, my sons were coloring so I thought I was just mixing up the smells.  However the smell got stronger, quick and I realized it was coming from the oven....a pot holder had somehow made it into the oven...thank goodness a fire didn't start.  Soon after I resolved that stinky mystery I started to smell something like a sauna.  I thought what in the world could that be.  I checked the oven...nothing...then I realized one of my burners was on (we have an electric stove) and my large knife with a wooden handle was laying across that burner.  It's a wonder that I didn't burn down the house tonight!!  So glad I have a keen nose.  The dinner ended up being more greasy and way less yummy!  I will do this recipe again but only with the boneless/skinless chicken.  I apologize to those who have already tried it!
Dinner: Apricot-mustard chicken, brown rice with broccoli and carrots
Dessert:  2 handfuls of chocolate chips






1 comment: